Friday, October 03, 2008

Autumn Bathroom

Ok, I must admit that I am not a fan of Autum at all. I know people who will say that it's their favorite season and they just can't understand how I don't like it. They will point out the beautiful colors on the trees. They will show me pumpkins. They will show me gourds. They will show me cute scarecrows. They will remind me of hayrides and crunching leaves under your feet. They will have me smell Autumn scents like pumpkin pie, cinnamon, and spiced apple. While I do like those things, I would still like them in Spring or even Summer. The problem with Autumn is that it precedes Winter, and I really, really, REALLY don't like Winter. So it's hard to enjoy something when you know it's just preparing you for something worse.

You see, when I was a baby my parents moved us from Iowa to California.....southern California. Where the weather is beautiful year round. My winter coat was a rain jacket. I can only remember ever seeing snow one time and that was when we lived further up north in Sacramento, and it was only a few flurries that never even made it to the ground. Later, we moved back to Iowa and it snowed the first day we were here. I remember enjoying it for about 7 minutes and then I wanted to go back "home" where it was warm. So, I actually blame my parents for my extreme dislike of Autumn (sorry mom, but it's true). Had they not let me enjoy warm winters in the first place, I wouldn't mind cooler weather now. But I know that as our days get colder, there are those who are still wearing shorts and flip-flops. There are those who are still running their a/c. There are those who are still going to the beach. And there are those who will never have to buy a pair of snow boots, or a shovel, or an ice scraper. I would love to be one of those people.

For that reason, my Autumn decorating is pretty pathetic. I have a wreath on our front fence, and I have 3 pumpkins sitting on our front steps. And that's it. I got teased and picked on by some friends recently who were almost appalled by my lack of enthusiasm for Autumn. So for that reason, I decided to try to get into the spirit of the season. Maybe if I try, I'll find I start to enjoy it after all. Goes along with that whole "fake it till you make it" theory.

I decided I would decorate one room, and then we'd see how that went. The room I chose was my bathroom, which is also the bathroom that guests use. I know, you're thinking "the bathroom?", but I'm telling you, I just don't know if I'm up to looking at Autumn "stuff" all day long. If I start to feel overloaded, I'll use the guys bathroom instead. No wait, no I won't. That's a hazardous zone, so I'll just have to go through the doggie door and go outside.

I did some shopping yesterday for some Autumn items for the bathroom, and I did get excited. Not about what I was buying, but the prices I was buying them at. I got almost everything at the dollar store. Let me show you how it all came out:

Ok, I know that of the first things you notice is the dark pink walls. The bathroom is normally decorated with lighthouses, and that particular shade of color is in very small amounts on the lighthouse shower curtain. It doesn't necessarily go with what is in there for now, but I'm not repainting every season, so you'll just have to ignore it. LOL Aside from the walls, your attention will be grabbed by the Autumn leaves fabric shower curtain that I scored for only $5. And the shaggy brown and tan rug is so soft and squishy under my toes. The wreath on the wall was is harvest flowers and leaves, and the small hand towels were only $2 each. I was trying to come up with someway to decorate the rod, like maybe with a leaf garland, but I just knew that would make it a pain to open and close the curtain, so we'll just have to deal with the boring rod. I wasn't going to change the lighthouse shower rings, but I knew my OCD "everything must match or go together" self would never tolerate that, so I purchased clear rings.


At this angle, you can see that I added Autumn colored leaves to the greenery I have above the towel cabinet and the medicine cabinet, and below the medicine cabinet as well. I bought 4 bunches of Leaves that were only $1 each (how great is that?) and cut the leaves apart. Oh, and the brown toilet seat cover was only Autumn colored seat cover I could find. I had to have a cover, because the seat has a lighthouse picture on it, and again, the whole OCD issue said it had to be covered. The harvest bouquet was $12, but it's probably my favorite thing in the room, so I was ok with splurging on it.









I wanted coordinating stool seat and tank covers, but wasn't willing to fork out the money they wanted for a set, so I bought one cloth napkin and draped it over the top. Yes, I know it needs ironed, but I don't iron unless it's absolutely necessary. It just so happens that I have a load of towels in the washer right now, and when they go in the dryer, this will go in with them, and voila, the wrinkles will be gone. Some call it lazy, I call it smart. The tissue cover was just a plain brown one that I attached an extra leaf too, and the candle is yummy spiced apple scented.

This wall is where the Autumn season really shines, or smacks you in the face. The little cubicles usually house some of my lighthouses, but I packed them safely away and replaced them with leaves, small artificial pumpkins and gourds, and two candle holders for $1.00 each and put spiced apple potpourri in them. The tree on the counter is actually a bunch of tiny miniature plastic pumpkins shaped into a tree...and no, I didn't make it. I bought it that way.

You probably notice that I still have my lighthouse light switch up. I don't do tools, so unless I get a plain switch cover that Jay can replace it with on Sunday (the only day he takes off during harvest), it will stay up there.






So, there you have it. My attempt to make myself like Autumn. Again, if it didn't lead into Winter, I know I'd enjoy it so much more, but sadly fact is fact. I am actually very excited that I was able to decorate it so reasonably. I didn't want to spend a fortune, but I wanted it to look nice, and I do like how it turned out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did a great, creative autumn-ly decorating job! I'm impressed! :)

Becky said...

I like the cubies... they are perfect. :-)