Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Illness Update

Ok, I finally caved in to all the well wishing emails telling me in not so many words to get my butt to the doctor. I called the doctors office. And I'm going to the clinic in about an hour.

But I'm not happy about it, so I'll go, but I'll pout. thankyouverymuch.

It's not that I don't like our doctor. She's usually nice enough. But, she's a doctor, and in the past few years I have had a couple of bad experiences that have left me not trusting doctors at all. There is only one that I trust completely and that is my kids' Pediatrician. I keep begging her to drop Pediatrics and become a family doctor, but so far she's not budging.

My fever is down today, so that actually now has me wishing I hadn't called. But, my glands are still swollen and hard (like the size of 1/2 a golfball) and I have the pimply rash type bumps on my face, neck and behind my ears. Oh, and some in my mouth and throat too. So we'll see what she has to say.

Jay said he's guessing hoof & mouth. I said I'll be sure to give him a big ol' kiss if so, just for being a meanie-bo-beanie.

Appointment at 4

News at 11 (actually news will be earlier...I'll be in bed by 11)


+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+#+

DOCTOR VISIT UPDATE:

Ok, it's official...the doctor thinks I'm a lunatic.

First, I had to wait 45 minutes, and I don't feel well, so that made me crankier than I normally would be when kept waiting that long. I mean seriously, if I came to my appt 45 min late, would they just allow me to say "Sorry I'm running a bit behind" and all would be good? I don't think so.

The doctor finally comes in and things went down hill from there:

Dr: so, you have swollen glands?
Me: Not sure what they are, but they are definitely right here (point to below my ears)
(she feels and she pushes hard enough to make me consider giving her "the look")
Dr: Yes. I do think I feel a lymph node there.

***It is visible when you look at me. Jay noticed it too, & she says she "thinks" she feels it?

Dr: Ok. Explain these other bumps you say you have.
Me: Well, you can see I have little pimply type rashy sort of bumps across my forehead, across the bridge of my nose and down my nose, and behind my ears.
Dr: I don't believe that to be a strep rash, but my guess is it looks like it could be some acne.

***Is she kidding me??? I'm in my 40's people! I haven't had acne since my very early 20's. Plus, someone doesn't go to bed with a clear forehead, nose and neck and wake up covered in these tiny bumps. I know I'm no doctor...but this is NOT acne. At that point I did give her "the look".

Dr: You have these bumps inside your mouth too?
Me: Well, yes and no. I can't see them, but when I run my tongue along the inside of my lips and my cheeks, I can feel them.
Dr: Open wide please (she shines flashlight around in my mouth). Well, I don't see anything.

***Isn't that what I just said???

Dr: Well, you don't look like you are too sick.
Me: (getting really cranky by this point and not appreciating what she's insinuating) I could have stayed in the fleece pajama bottoms and t-shirt I've worn for two days and left my hair all greasy and dirty, but I figured you'd appreciate it if I showered. *smile*

*absolutely ZERO response from the doctor

Dr: I do see your temperature is up to 100 and your blood pressure is up too. That's not normal is it?
Me: No, it's not. It's normally really good.

Dr. checks my file because by now she's not believing a single thing I say.

Dr: No, your blood pressure is normally very good. I'd even say it's usually excellent. So between your low grade fever and your elevated blood pressure, that would indicate that there is something going on.

***I wanted to jump up, put my fingers in my ears and dance around singing "naner, naner, boo boo" see I'm not faking anything after all. But, I just sat there thinking "I'd rather be back home in bed"

Dr: So we'll do a strep swab, even though your throat doesn't look very red at all, just to rule out that possibility.

Swab test came back negative...as I suspected it would.

Dr: Well, it appears you have some sort of virus, but as to what kind, I can't say. To treat viruses we tell patients to go home, get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids.

Me: Ok. Thank you for your time.

And that was it. I have a virus. I'm to get rest. I'm to drink lots of fluids. Which is what I felt they would say....although I did hope for a little more compassion. hmfph!

So, thanks everyone for all your prayers! Keep 'em coming! Sounds like I'm just going to have to ride this thing out. Hopefully it won't last too much longer! For now, going to follow Doctors orders...I'm off to get another glass of ice water and I'm going to go veg out on the couch.

Hopefully there is something better on tv tonight.

4 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Keep us posted on the results. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Did I understand this is NOT your NORMAL Dr.? I think I'd be Dr. shoppin' if she was (I'm just sayin).

She sounds kinda like the one my husband saw when he got an upper respiratory infection: I told her, "We don't have insurance. So please give him an antibiotic that will work, but not cost us $200."

When we got to the pharmacy, it was $280. I just about lost my mind. Some just don't listen.

Get better soon!

Becky said...

Girl, find yourself a new dr for MY sake... I'm sitting here trying to reach through cyber space to slap that doc a good one.

Not sure if it is the same as strep but my brother once had rocky mountain spotted fever. Sounds awful but it had the same symptoms as you do. Maybe google it.

Anyway, hope you are getting better each day. Thanks for the update.

Dena said...

Actually, yes this is our doctor, sort of. I don't like her, and I would like to find a different one, but it's hard when you only go to the doctor maybe once a year. The last time I was in for anything was last winter when I cracked my pelvis. I wish there was a doctor interview day where all the doctors sat in booths and you went from booth to booth "interviewing them". Would make things a lot easier. LOL