Chatty Kelly is hosting a Thanksgiving meme, and I decided to play along. My mind is too preoccupied with things I should be doing (instead of reading blogs) to actually come up with something to write about, so here goes:
1. Which do you like better: cooking at your house, or going elsewhere? I enjoy hosting at my home, but my cooking leaves a lot to be desired, so that stresses me out. Jay says I should just buy the whole meal fully cooked from the grocery store, since they offer that. It probably would be easier, but then I'd feel guilty. Stress or guilt - which would be worse? hhhmmm.
2. Do you buy a fresh or frozen bird? Frozen, because my goal is to go nowhere near a grocery store the last few days before Thanksgiving. People are crazy!
3. What kind of stuffing? For Me? None. Yuck. Never have liked it.
4. Sweet potato or pumpkin pie? Pumpkin, definitely.
5. Do you believe that turkey leftovers are a curse, or the point of the whole thing? I love a good sandwich from leftover turkey...but only for 1 day. Any more than that and I get tired of it.
6. Which side dish would provoke a riot if you left it off the menu? See #1 - no one would riot if I left everything I might make off the menu.
7. Do you save the carcass to make soup or stock? Again - see #1. I can't cook, therefore do you really think I'm making my own soup? Oh that makes me giggle.
8. What do you wish you had that would make preparing Thanksgiving dinner easier? A live in cook. But not just for Thanksgiving - can I keep him/her all year? Please?
9. Do you get up at the crack of dawn to have dinner ready in the early afternoon, or do you eat at your normal dinner hour? I do start the meat early, but I do as much as possible the day/evening before. Family brings side dishes, desserts, etc, so that's fun, and easier on everyone.
10. If you go to somebody else's house, what's your favorite dish to bring? buns from the bakery, or a relish tray. Hard to screw those up.
11. Is your cranberry sauce fresh or canned? My grandma used to open a can of cranberry sauce each year. I was the only one who would eat some. Now that I'm older though, I don't like it, so we don't have any.
12. What's your absolute favorite thing on the menu? Can I say "everything"? We don't always have it for Thanksgiving, but at different get togethers, my mom makes a 7-layer salad that has always been my absolute favorite thing. I get all giddy when I see it. I would even choose it over chocolate, so that tells you how yummy it is!