Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Years Eve Re-cap

We had no plans for New Years Eve.

None, nada, zip, zilch.

In the past, we have been invited to a couple of different parties, but our teenagers were always having friends over and we weren't about to leave them unattended, so we had to decline the offers. This year, no teenagers were coming over, so I waited with giddiness by the mailbox for the invites to come pouring in. Well, either those people didn't have parties this year, or they got tired of us always saying "Sorry, we can't make it", because we didn't get a single invite this year.

None, nada, zip, zilch.

After the initial period of being bummed out (wait...one of my resolutions is to sound more "cool". Do they say "bummed out" anymore? Do they even say "cool"?)...anyhow, we were ok with the idea of having a nice quiet relaxing evening at home, just Jay, me and Austin. I haven't slept well at all with the whole pinched nerve thing going on, so I figured I'd go to bed early after stealing one of the codeine pills left over from Ashley's oral surgery.

While talking to one of our friends this week, "R", we found out that she had no plans either, so she and her sons came over. We love her and enjoy talking with her, so it was great. Austin and the boys hit the Wii, while we adults flipped back and forth between football games and Dick Clarks Rockin' Eve.

Sidenote: Did anyone else watch that? Was anyone else as sad as I was to see Dick the way he was? It broke my heart seeing him slurring some of his words, but the scariest part of all was that he literally never EVER blinked. We have tivo so we kept rewinding it and I'm serious when we say he never EVER blinked. Not even once. It was so bizarre. I kept begging Jay to turn the channel. I want to remember Dick the way he used to be - the eternal teenager.

While sitting and visiting, we each had a couple of drinks. Keep in mind, I am not a big drinker. I have maybe 1 drink every few months, and they are always the most mild drinks you could possibly make, so it doesn't take much to get me squirrely (do they say that word anymore either?). By 11pm, I was part way into my 3rd drink and I got the giggles. Jay and R were having way too much fun at my expense....they started throwing math problems at me.

I've mentioned this before, but I am beyond bad when it comes to math. Give me a couple of drinks with a whoppin' 5% alcohol in them, and I'm lucky to still be able to count. I don't even remember what problem they asked me to figure out, but I thought I'd outsmart them and use the calculator on my phone. Problem was I obviously hit a wrong key, because according to them, the answer should have been around 1400. The answer I got was around 150,000. That of course had them on the floor in stitches, while I tried to be so serious and figure out where I went wrong.

I went wrong by having a drink and attempting math. That's where I went wrong!

They threw a few more problems at me, including some story problems (and no, I didn't get a single one correct) and then R and her sons left. The clock struck 12. Jay & Austin began a heated game of Wii, and I gave one last glance to my phone and let it know I was disappointed in it, and I headed off to bed.

What can I say. We are a wild bunch.

I hope you all had a happy, safe and lively New Years Eve!!

1 comment:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Happy New Year, my friend! I think you should leave your phone off and in your purse all day long because it wasn't willing to help you out when you really needed it.

Darn thang.

;-)