Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Spurs Update - And Not The San Antonio Kind

While my headaches and back pain have been improving, the pain and numbness in my hand has been getting worse. I saw my doctor yesterday and the tests he did indicate that my alignment is much better and staying nicer than it had been. If I keep seeing him weekly for a while (and then the appts will get spaced out more), the spurs should cease to cause me any problems.

Hallulia!!! Wooohooo! Let's dance the dance of joy!!!!Rave Girl

WAIT.....

So if that's getting better, then why is my hand getting worse? I now not only have a "dead" thumb, but I can't feel anything in my fingers on that same hand (with the exception of the pinky), and I'm starting to get numbness in the pad below my thumb. AND to top it off...I'm starting to feel tingling in my right hand as well. So what's up with that?

The doctor feels that besides the spurs, I have a severe case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Geez, growing old is not fun.

So for now, I have wrist supports that I am to wear on both hands at night to keep them properly aligned, which should help me to finally get some sleep. Since my left hand is much worse than the right, I'm to wear the support on the left hand at all times, which I do...except when typing.

Have you ever tried to type while wearing one of those things?
I M P O S S I B L E!!

My doctor is setting up an appointment for me to see a neurologist just to be sure that it's not something else and to see if surgery will be necessary to alleviate the CTS symptoms.

But at least it appears I won't be needing surgery for the bone spurs, which I am so eternally grateful for. The idea of them cutting around and near my spinal cord had me near tears just thinking about it. Praise God that's something I likely won't have to deal with.

Now to get so I quit dropping things.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I am so happy for you that you won't need surgery... at least on your back/neck.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Whew...praise the Lord! I know I wouldn't be very thrilled about surgery around my spine, either! You just better wear those wrist supports every chance you GET! Do you hear me, young lady???

Oh, sorry. I kinda went off, didn't I. Well, it's only because I care.

:-) I am celebrating with you!