Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More Randomness From The State Fair

I made my way to the fairgrounds flea market today and was pleasantly happy to see that there is no shortage of thing-a-ma-jigs, thing-a-ma-bobs, whats-its, an what-cha-ma-call-its.







After you pick up your do-dad or do-hickey, you can also get the special lady in your life a plastic (no, not silk - 100% plastic) rose wrapped in cellophane. You're sure to win her over with one of those. Shucks, they are only $1.00 each, splurge for a dozen! So many nice things can be found at the flea markets.






After the flea market, I went to the Ag building to see the famous "butter cow". While it has a wire mesh body, the rest is entirely sculpted out of low-moisture butter. The Iowa state fair has ha a butter cow on display every year since the early 1900s.






This is Ashley with cousin Jenna who was competing the state fair talent competition. She and a friend did a dance routine and they did an awesome job!!







While making my way back to the camper for a rest, I noticed 3 different hot air balloons floating above the fairgrounds. Their bright colors are so beautiful, and I wish I had the courage to actually try riding in one. However, huddling down in the basket with my eyes closed, practicing my Lamaze breathing probably takes away from the overall experience.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm enjoying "my visit" to your state fair. Thanks so much for sharing!

SusanD said...

Wow! There is a butter cow at the state fair in Springfield too. I think they're pretty amazing. Our fair starts this weekend. I'm so looking forward to taking the grand-boy. Blessings, SusanD

sara said...

I have always wanted to ride in a hot air balloon! But as I get older, heights bother me more so I think I might be like you...huddled at the bottom!!!

Heidi said...

How long is that fair in your state? I think ours is coming up next week. Like your pics from the fair.