Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Random Dozen #9

Linda @ 2nd Cup is hosting this fun meme:



1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher. I had one year that I had some really rough personal situations going on in my young life, and my grades really suffered. Only one teacher cared enough to pull me into his office and talk to me about his concern for me. He encouraged me to talk to my parents and really helped me. Even though the subject he taught was my least favorite, he has been my favorite teacher ever since.

2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life. Wow...tough one. Probably when I stood up to someone I was very afraid of. It helped me realize I was stronger than I realized.

3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is.
What feeling or memory does it evoke? I have always loved navy blue, but honestly I have no clue why. It's just been my favorite for as long as I can remember. What I do find interesting is that all 3 of my children have 2 favorite colors...and one of them is blue. :)

4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older? How long do you have, because my list gets longer with each birthday. ha! I guess for starters, it'd be that I have 2 kids in college, and one who is now getting brochures in the mail from different colleges. Secondly would be the increasing ailments, syndromes and/or diseases I have.

5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you? No, and we didn't make it a big deal with our kids either. We took them trick-or-treating when they were young, but since we live on a farm, we don't get any trick-or-treaters at our place. That means for several years now Halloween has passed with barely any notice...although I do mail out goodie boxes with Halloween treats in them to my girls and I give one to my son.

6. What's your favorite musical? Seriously? Just one??? After thinking about it for a couple of minutes, I honestly can't narrow it down to less than 2 - Mamma Mia and Grease. I've watched both a thousand times and never get tired of either one.

7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse? Just two weeks before I met my husband I had a conversation where I said "You would never catch me living on a farm". I always swore I was a city mouse. Then I married a farmer and have lived on a farm for over 20 years. Now, I can say that I love to visit the city, but am always glad to come home where it's quiet, I have no neighbors to fight with, and no congestion or traffic.

8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn." I would be very appreciative just knowing they thought of me, but honestly I would consider it a waste of money. I find it hard to believe they don't just say the same star for several people, you know? I have heard of this buy a star thing and think it's just a way to get money from unsuspecting naive people. Does that mean I have trust issues? haha.

This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't. Probably sitting in my hot tub while texting. My hands were slippery and I ended up dropping the phone into the hot tub. When the guy at the store said it appeared the phone had sustained some water damage, I innocently said "Oh really? I wonder how that happened?" :)

Paula, you do know that this blog is rated G, right? <----- LOL Linda

10. "It's not a party unless _______." "There is lots of good food." Whenever we have friends or family coming over, I always have lots of food out for everyone to enjoy.

11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available. I get on my blackberry and read the news, catch up on blog reading, or play Yahtzee.

12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you? I would like to think so, because I'm very loyal and caring to my friends. However, if I think realistically, I would probably would be distancing myself lately because "I" haven't been conversing by text, emails, blogs or even in person as much lately due to the pain "I" have. It makes it hard somedays to go out, or to even type. So I would probably think that "I" didn't care much after all.

6 comments:

SusanD said...

hahahaha.....you dropped your "crackberry" in the hot tub? sorry. that just struck me funny. Did you try the take-it-apart-and-submerge-it-in-rice trick? Blessings, SusanD

Joyce said...

It has been interesting to read today and see how many people in #1 or #2 mentioned one person making a huge difference...just goes to show that one person can impact a life.

The musical question-impossible-I love them all : )

Susanne said...

I've alway just stopped myself from taking the phone in the jacuzzi 'cause knowing me that is exactly what I would do. So did they replace it?

Jerralea said...

I got a kick out of your #12 answer. I guess we all think that ppl don't care about us much if they haven't been texting us or emailing us.

Kim said...

Today I was longing for some of your country quiet! Between the construction workers next door and the alarm going off all day on the house across the street -- yikes it was loud!

What a special teacher he must have been! I think blue was a favorite with the majority of people :-) I hear you on #4. My oldest will be 28 his next birthday and my "baby" turned 23 last month. *sigh* I would love to see Mama Mia; have heard so many good things about it. I've thought the same thing about selling stars, that it's probably a scam. Do you think that makes us super cynical?

Enjoyed reading all your answers!

SouthLakesMom said...

Mama-mia! I love that music although I haven't seen the musical.

And I love the photo of Ringo. It looks like he's plugged in at the wall recharging...