Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Looking Forward

My biggest struggles with having Fibromyalgia (besides the obvious physical ones) are accepting that the old me is gone forever. She is never coming back and that's tough to accept. I look at pictures of me from a couple of years ago and I see that FM has caused me to age and gain back the weight I worked so hard to lose. I don't see someone whose hair has lost all it's curls and shine. I don't see someone who looks tired and worn. I see a sparkle in her eyes.

I miss her. A  lot.

I read a blog that had a great message that I must remind myself of daily:

My message to my new member was this: Until you learn to let go of who you were, and accept who you currently are, you will not be able to move forward. You will be stuck trying to get back to a “you” your body is no longer capable of being. By continually looking back, you are fostering frustration and anger rather than acceptance and possibility. Examine who you are now, come to terms with it, and then make a plan to move forward.

I need to say good-bye to the old me and let her go, so I can truly move forward. That's not going to be easy, but it's one of those things I have to do.

1 comment:

sara said...

that message is great for all of us! I will be praying for you!