Thursday, July 17, 2008

I am the Queen

I just got an email that I had to post about. You know how when you were growing up there was the "Teachers Pet", the "Top Jock", the "Bookworm", etc? I never had one of those names. insert sad violin music here They say all good things come to those who wait, and that is so true. I now have a nickname:

"Volleyball Queen" switch to "All hail the Queen" type of music

A week or so ago when we had the gathering for all the exchange students and their host families, they had 2 sand volleyball games going...one for all the kids, and one for us adults who were convinced we still had all the killer moves. I can honestly say I have not got an athletic bone in my body. When I try to do something athletic, I'm about as graceful as a moose wearing ice skates. Take a moment to soak up that visual - see, not a pretty picture is it? So when the adult volleyball game started up, I VERY reluctantly joined in. My strategy was to stay close to the net....very close. Close enough that I almost became one with the net. I knew that wasn't fair, but, well, you know....I didn't care. After a short time I decided I should at least try, so I stepped back. I knew it was a bad idea right away because I heard someone shout "Dena! It's Yours!" Craaappp! I hit it and it went a long ways. Unfortunately, it was in the wrong direction. My next attempts either went in the net or out of bounds. I think by the end of the night I did get one or two across the net, only to have them hit it directly back to me again. The rest of the night I was known as the Volleyball Queen. But now it has spread. I'm referred to in emails. I am famous.

The Spanish teacher, who also is the coordinator for the students, wanted to get all the students and families together one more time during our county fair, which is next week. She evidentally talked to one of my girls, who described our campsite because this is what was listed in the email:

Is everyone planning on meeting at the volleyball queen's jumbo underwear on July 25?

I do need to explain to those of you who have not been to our campsite during the county fair. The fair is the one time a year when we have our own version of "Girls Gone Wild". Only for us it's "Hillbilly Mom's Gone Wild". There are 3 families of us who put our campers in a U shape and it's like our own 70's commune for the week. We all hang out together, eat together and laugh so much all week long that our sides ache. We talk redneck and wear our hair in pigtails, much to the delight of our husbands. The kids used to be totally embarrassed, but now they just ignore us. We have gotten quite famous over the past few years and we have people actually stop by and take pictures. We decorate our campsite (redneck style of course) and play redneck games like: Toilet Toss (ring toss using toilet seats). We also hang out underwear on the clothesline (no, not our real underwear).

During one of my random searches on the internet a few years ago, I happened to find what has to be the largest underwear in the entire world. Seriously, you have never seen anything like these. They are fire engine red with black lace. As you can see, there are 3 of us in these panties at one time, and we honestly could easily fit 1 or 2 more people in here. We have them hanging proudly from the awning of our camper. When anyone asks which camper is ours, we just tell them to look for the giant underwear. No other description is needed.
So now all the spanish kids will get to see the giant panties, as will all their host families. I'm sure they'll all be impressed and want to have their pictures taken in them as well. Kinda makes you wish you could be there too right? Well if you happen to attend out county fair next week, just look for the red panties and then stop by and say hi!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome photo! only you could pull off giant fire engine red panties!!

Love the blog..finally got time to read it and I'm sitting alone at my desk giggling out loud!!

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

funny!