Thursday, July 17, 2008

End Of An Era

I had a horrible time sleeping last night. I just laid there with the song "You're Gonna Miss This" running through my head. Over, and over, and over, and over. I've mentioned this song before. It's by Trace Adkins and the chorus goes like this:

You're gonna miss this,
You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days
Hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times
So take a good look around.
You may not know it now.
But you're gonna miss this.

That song is a tear jerker at any time of the day, but when it's 2am, there's no flood gates strong enough to hold back the tears.

I know what brought this on. Today is another of the "lasts" for Ashley & Chelsea. Their last visit with their Pediatrician, Dr. Jill. They take their college physical papers with them, and they'll get the last of any shots required for college. Then they will walk out of Pediatrics forever.

I remember the very first time I took them there. Instead of their 2 week check-up most babies get right after birth, this was their 2 month check-up, since they had been in the NICU for the first 2 months. I can still remember walking in there with 2 baby carriers and all the people looking at me. I can remember wondering what they were thinking. Now I know what it was:

You're gonna miss this,
You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days
Hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times
So take a good look around.
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this.

The reason I know that, is because the last time I had one of the kids in there, I saw a young mom holding a tiny baby and I couldn't help but empathize with her. I recognized the look on her face. It was a face of love and pride, mixed with a little fear. I wanted to tell her that those feelings will never end. That's something I can guarantee her, because as I prepare to send our girls off to college. My heart is totally full of love and pride, and of course it's mixed with a little fear. But I know God will watch over them, so I have to learn to let go. But I'm gonna miss this. It's the end of an era. Now, Ashley & Chelsea will have to go to "big people doctors", as they used to call them.

No comments: