Tuesday, October 14, 2008

We All Have An Ornery Side

...even God.

*Gasp, Cough, Choke* Did she said G-O-D?

Yeppers. And I have proof....

Yesterday we had Austin's cross country meet. It rained all afternoon, and the closer we got to the location of the meet the harder it rained. Since it was a conference meet, the only way they would cancel it was due to lightening.

You have never seen someone pray so hard for lightening the way I was.

I love my son, and I enjoy cheering for him, but I do not like rain. I don't like feeling wet. I don't even like feeling damp. And when you have natural curl in your hair that you spent quite a bit of time straightening that morning, you know all your hard work was for nothing as soon as you step one foot out the door.

We luckily found a parking spot right by the starting line, so I stayed in our vehicle until the boys were lining up. As you can see by the picture above, it was still raining as our boys stood waiting near the start....and the rain showed no signs of letting up....and it was getting colder.

As the announcer said "Runners to the starting line" I knew the time had come to leave my nice dry domain, so just kept repeating "I love my son. I love my son. I love my son." over and over to remind myself why I was standing under a tree with water dripping down onto my head waiting for the starting gun. While standing there I also kept saying "Please God let it stop raining." over and over as well.

"I love my son. I love my son. Please God let it stop raining. I love my son." As I wiped the rain off my glasses while trudging through knee high grass (getting my pant legs soaked) as I headed to the next spot to see the runners go by.

"I love my son. I love my son. Please God let it stop raining. I love my son." As I tried my best to wipe the rain off my glasses while I stepped over mud holes (usually unsuccessfully) as I headed to the next spot to see the runners go by.

"I love my son. I love my son. PLEASE GOD, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, LET IT STOP RAINING ALREADY. I love my son." As I stood wiping off my glasses while searching the horizon for the sight of the runners to come out of the woods for the last half-mile to the finish line.


And then it stopped raining.


And the sky started to clear.















Just in time for all of us to head home.


And I just know He was sitting up there giggling.

2 comments:

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

This was a great reminder of how much we do love our children, even cheering them on in the rain. God does that for us, too. He's there to cheer us on no matter what the weather. :)

Nice to meet you!
Sonya

Becky said...

LOL... great post. I loved you mantra. See, God does answer our fervent prayers... in His time :-)