Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What's In Your Pockets?

Last week I had a friend send me an email asking "If you were stranded on an island, name 10 things you’d want to have in your pockets". hhhmmm.... Pockets aren't very big, and even with cargo shorts that have many pockets, they still aren't big pockets. This will take some thought, and I told her I'd get back to her. Well Becky...here ya go. This is my list of what 10 things I'd want in my pockets:

1. A small bible - I'd have plenty of time to try to figure out how to pronounce all those names in the "begots" and "In the Land of" sections of the old testament.

2. A photo of my family - preferably laminated in case it rains. This one is one of my favorites. It's when the kids were all little and we were taking them for ice cream in our 1960 Triumph. It was sad when they all got big enough that we couldn't all fit in there at the same time anymore. We had so much fun riding in it together.

3. A lighter - I don't do well with blisters, so rubbing sticks together to make a fire is out of the question.

4. Bottle of Water - I could refill it when it rained, or when I felt brave enough to walk to the other side of the island where the dangerous natives live and worship the natural spring that flows over there.

5. Duct tape - what can't that stuff do? Think about it, if my shirt rips to threads I can alway fashion me a funky new tube top. Oh now isn't that a vision you could have done with out?

6. Swiss Army Knife - One with all the cool gadgets (Pliers, scissors, clippers, screwdriver, etc) I'm guessing the Professor from Gilligans Island had one of these. How else can you explain how he was able to do or make so many amazing things?

7. hair brush - if my hair gets super tangled, it'll end up having to be shaved off and the buzz cut is not one that would work well on me.

8. Carmex - my lips dry out really easy. I always have some kind of lip balm in my pocket or purse, and during the winter Carmex is my best friend.

9. a big knife - gotta have some way to cut the duct tape and to cut up whatever I need to.

10. Tennis Ball - Remember Tom Hanks in the Movie "Castaway"? He had "Wilson" to talk to. I know this will come as a big shock, but I like to talk, so having no one to talk to (that I could visually see) would make me cuckoo for cocoa puffs (as my son would say). So, I'd like my own Wilson, but since it has to fit in my pocket, it'll have to be a tennis ball instead of a volleyball.


So there's my list. To whomever ends up rescuing me, I'm sorry deoderant didn't make the top 10.


Becky also asked "After you make your top 10, suppose everything fell out of your pockets and was lost forever. What is the one thing you would want to be safe with you?"


For me, that was easy....the picture of my family. I can talk to God without a bible, and I can find a way to sneak past the natives for fresh water, and I'm sure I could make a Wilson out of a coconut, but it would break my heart to not get to look at the beautiful faces that I love so dearly every single day.


If you made a top 10 list....what would your #1 be?

2 comments:

Becky said...

That is so sweet. I would probably have a list very similar to yours. I love that car! How much fun is that! Do you still have it?

Gwendolyn said...

Oh my word. I will be thinking about this all night. My first instinct is that I would want a lighter, 'cause I do not like raw food. LOL. And also, maybe fire would scare away any animals that might want to eat me.