Friday, November 28, 2008

Holiday De-Stressing

I used to get totally worked up during the whole holiday season. Seriously, it was bad. Poor Jay would look at me and say "I can guess who's getting coal in her stocking this year", and of course when the kids were little that would bring gasps of fear that the legend of coal was really true.

As I've said before, I tryyyyyyy to be organized. I really do. But it's just so much work. To put something back in the exact same spot requires a memory, and in my peri-menopausal world, having a memory is just...well, a memory.

There was always something needing to be baked, made, decorated or wrapped. Always. And no matter how hard I tried, or how fast I worked, I could never get caught up.

Then I found her. Marla Cilley. AKA: The Flylady


She literally changed my life. What I was feeling, she "cured". I get overwhelmed VERY easily. If I have 3 loads of laundry that need to be done, it can feel like 30 loads to me. A sink full of dishes, seems to be the size of a mountain. And when it gets cluttered in the kitchen or living room, where do you begin? The mail gets tossed here, there's a sock over there, and shoes, don't even get me started on shoes all over the floor. I would get so stressed out over it and then I'd do the stupidest thing on the planet.

I'd go on strike.

Oh yea, that did a lot of good. So now that I've gone an entire week with no cooking, cleaning or laundry, do you know what my reward was? A weeks worth of a dirty house, dirty dishes, and dirty clothes. Boy I showed them didn't I?

And when it gets to the "omg I'm overwhelmed" point, it's easier to just walk out of the room, or go check emails, or go shopping, than it is to face that giant mountain in front of you.

Marla gets that. Marla gets me. She is my BFF...she just doesn't know it.

She has everything broken down weekly and daily. And then each day is broken down into morning, afternoon, and evening. By following her lead, her guidance, I was able to stay on top of everything. I could go to bed at night knowing that everything I hoped to accomplish that day was done. And when I'd wake up to a house with only 1 load of laundry needing to be done that day ~ oh it was a good day.

Marla even has a way to help you cruise through the holidays. I encourage you to check out her site (scroll down for her holiday tips).

Oh, and when you're there, tell Marla "hi" from her BFF. :)

1 comment:

Becky said...

Sounds great to me. I think I have heard of her before in Hints from Heloise. I'm definitely going to check her out... and I'll tell her hi from you ;-)