Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Times Have Changed

One of my favorite things when I was growing up was listening to my Grandpa sing. He had a soft tenor voice and was always singing or humming a song (hhhmm....wonder where I get it from?). He sang a lot of the songs from his time, and I remember thinking how wonderful and romantic those songs were.

The other day I found myself singing one of them....

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true.
I'm half crazy, over the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage.
I can't afford a carriage.
But you'll look sweet, upon the seat,

Of a bicycle built for two.

Stop and read those words again....I'll hum the tune while I wait.

Done? Translated to a song from today and it would basically be:

Daisy, Daisy
You make me crazy with how much I love you.
I don't have barely any money,
I don't even have a car.
But, hop on my bike
and lets ride off into the sunset together.

Wouldn't that make you go weak in the knees to have your dream man singing those words to you? Shows what a simpler time that used to be. I can't imagine being a single girl and having my date show up with a 2-seater bicycle. Can you? LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we can learn alot from our ancestors and one cannot imagine what they went through for a joyous life!

SusanD said...

Greetings Dena, Thanks for stopping by my little blog spot. I love the song....and your modern translation. My wonderful hubby is very romantic and I so love that about him. I'm an Iowa girl myself and still have family and friends there. Have a wonderful day. Blessings, SusanD