Friday, October 23, 2009

Finally A Diagnosis

Fibromyalgia.

I've suspected this, but no doctor has ever officially diagnosed me, until today.

National Fibromyalgia Association

Click on that link if you want to know more about FM. There is no cure, however, with treatment and time, some do become pain free.

The one part that frustrates me is that for several months, I've routinely been told by doctors to NOT do any form of exercising because that would injure me more and cause more pain. Today the doctor said that angered her, because the exact opposite is true for someone with FM. NOT exercising actually makes the pain worse. argh!

I am to keep a journal that I will bring to her in 6 weeks. She wants to see exactly what I'm eating, drinking, and any light exercising I'm doing and then we'll go from there with tweaking my treatment plan if necessary.

For now, I'm on an inflammatory to help reduce swelling, and a strong muscle relaxer to try to help me sleep at night, because insomnia (which I do suffer from) does make FM worse.

Also, I'm doing a sleep study to determine the cause of my insomnia.

5 comments:

sara said...

I am so glad you have a diagnosis!! I know that alone helps b/c now you have a path to go forward on.

I have heard that pilates is good for FM because of the stretching.

Kelly said...

Hopefully, this doctor will be the answer to your prayers. Hopefully, she'll get you on track to being pain free and enjoying all the things you've always enjoyed doing. And hopefully, in time for your Christmas shopping!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Oh wow...I had a lady friend years ago in Texas that had that.

There was a particular diet she went on that helped her a lot. It's very strict, but very healthy. Basically, it's based on eating more raw food than cooked food. It's called the Hallelujah Diet.

Here's a link to their website if you want to see what it is:

http://www.hacres.com/

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

This is a brochure I found on the Hallelujah Acres website about FM particularly.

It's a strange way of eating at first, but you won't believe how much your tastes will change!

My hubby and I did a modified version of it when we had one baby and both of us working. Once I stayed home and more little ones came along, it became too expensive to keep up with it. But we still juice carrots sometimes.

Hope this helps!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I'm glad you're doing the sleep study. I know insomnia.