Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Random Dozen #5

Linda @ 2nd Cup is hosting this meme, so here's my answers:


1. On an average, how often do you splurge and buy something for yourself?

Maybe twice a year. Especially since I had to quit working. I feel bad spending money on myself unless it's a need (like shampoo), knowing Jay is working so hard to support our family.

2. Are you more like Hall or Oates? Just kidding. Real question: What is the last creative project you began/finished? Feel free to post a pic of it.

I attempted painting for a new hobby. While I did enjoy it, I am just not creative enough to just randomly paint something. Maybe I should try paint by numbers? :P

3. OK, Goldie Locks, do you consider your house too big, too little or juuuust right?

Well, when it was built 10 yrs ago, it was just right. But now that 2 kids have moved out, it's starting to feel empty at times (aka: too big). Since my son will be leaving in a couple of years, I'm guessing it's going to be feeling even bigger and emptier long before I'm ready.

4. What is your favorite outdoor chore?

Sunbathing while laying in the hammock. What? That's not a chore? Uh yea it is...our mini horses constantly try to climb in with me! You try it! It's work to stay in there without flipping out. Actually, I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to outdoor chores. Jay & Austin do them all. I do occasionally do some weeding out front, but, well, it's not a favorite of mine. ha.

5. If you knew that cigarette smoking was not bad for your health but would be a weight loss tool, would you use it? Why or why not?

In a heart beat....not even as a weight loss tool. I quit smoking several years ago, but I actually did enjoy it and if I knew it wasn't bad for me, I'd go back to it. Not a good answer, I know. :(

6. On a road trip, would you rather drive or ride?

Ride. I get nervous driving in a city where I have no clue where I am. Plus, I like looking around at everything. Not necessarily a safe thing to do when driving.

7. What do you consider a trivial pursuit?

A board game? oh, ok...a real answer: searching for happiness. The whole "grass is greener". You make your own "green grass"... your own happiness.

8. This weekend, we downloaded the movie "Duplicity" with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Within 5 minutes, I was bored and annoyed, but I kept watching 5-10 minutes at a time hoping it would get better between small chores. I finally gave up and Jorge watched it alone, and then regretted wasting that time because he disliked it intensely, too. So ... how long do you watch a movie or read a book before giving up on it?

For a movie, I'll last 30 min tops. With a book, it has to catch my attention by then end of the first chapter, or I'll put it down and never finish it.

9. Is there a song that you really love but are embarrassed to admit because it's not cool or it's racy or because it's by Hall and Oates?

"Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies. I have loved that song since I was a young girl. Not sure why, but I get all excited if I listen to an oldies radio show and they play that song. And yes, I have it on my ipod.

10. On a scale of 1-10 (10 = extremely) how spontaneous are you?

I am not as spontaneous as I'd liked to be (or as I used to be), but that's what happens when you have a family and responsibilities I think. I look forward to getting spontaneity back again someday when all our kids are raised and on their own.

11. Are you a food and/or beverage snob?

Not at all. But, I will say I'm very sensitive to the texture of foods/beverages. If I don't like the texture, I won't eat/drink it...which explains my aversion to liver. Blech!

12. Who/What are you trying to control in your life? (I hear people gulping and see them sweating in anticipation of how to answer this)

To be honest, I'm trying to control myself. I am one that likes things to be under control. I get stressed easily when things are chaotic, and while I don't have to be the one in control, if no one else is taking control, I will do it for my own sanity. That causes me to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on myself and stress on others. I am learning to just let go, and know that HE has it in control and can do a much better job than I could ever do.

7 comments:

Darla said...

don't feel bad about that cigarette answer, mine would have been the exact same. i enjoyed smoking very much. it relaxed me. however, i knew it was bad for me and after a cervical cancer diagnosis i figured i better hang it up for good. i tell my hubby quite often, i wish smoking wasn't bad for me and i'd do it in a heartbeat. :D

Jenny wren's nest said...

Paint by number is what got me started painting, I can do the color thing but getting prespective has been my downfall,
I have to trace the picture on to what I paint.
Good post.
Jenny

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

At least you were honest about #5. Now, maybe if it didn't stink, make you look old, give you yellow fingers, yada yada....nope never have liked it. But totally understand the addiction.

Come by my place next week to play 2 Truths and a Lie....

Jerralea said...

I agreed with you when you said: "You make your own "green grass"... your own happiness."

Even in the midst of trying circumstances, you can find joy.

I like your #12 answer, too.

Kim said...

Enjoyed reading through your answers Dena! #6 for sure! Nothing more nerve-racking than trying to drive in a strange city. I enjoy "Sugar, Sugar" too!

Have a great week!

Melli said...

Hammock! What a GREAT outdoor chore!

I like Sugar Sugar!

When my kids became teenagers - that was when I started retrieving my spontaneity. Now that they are all but out the door, it's back with a vengeance! Hope yours goes that way too!

Fun answers Dena!

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

I think houses tend to grow disproportionatly to kids leaving and taking their stuff...

Love the hammock answer.

#9 Okay, well at least that got rid of the tune stuck in my mind from the last blog I visited. :)