Thursday, October 08, 2009

God Bless My Friends

I have some of the best friends ever. They are caring, loving, fun, supportive, and let me whine and complain when I feel the need. They don't judge or criticize. They are just there with open arms when they're needed, or even a swift "kick in the behind" to get e back on track when needed.

I belong to a weight loss forum for women, and have for a few years now. Over the years people have come and gone, including the one who started the forum, and her successor. But a strong core of ladies has remained. Some of us now help moderate the forum and we talk daily. The best part is that we literally range from coast to coast regarding where we live, and there is approximately a 20 year age range between us. But the age and location differences don't even matter.

I've been pretty down since all my thyroid troubles have started, because I can't seem to lose a single ounce, no matter how hard I try. Then I've been dealing with a lot of pain, different uncaring doctors, different diagnosis that get canceled out, and it's just been a long, long year.

I had considered stepping down as moderator. I felt by not being able to lose weight, that I wasn't doing my job as being a good role model for new members. They encouraged me to stick it out, because others will have struggles like I do and I can set the example of not giving up. So I've stayed...and I'm so glad I did. I really do love these ladies and count them as friends...even though we've never met in person.

I've been feeling pretty stressed lately, because we got my latest test results back and while we're not totally sure what they are saying, we feel we have a pretty good idea. I meet with my family doctor later today to find out for sure.

The ladies know what I've been going through and they have been great. They've been just as frustrated as I have been with everything and are praying for answers as much as I am.

Today a box was delivered. Now I realize that "brain fog" is one of the symptoms of Hashimoto's Disease, but this was a bad case of it, because I honestly couldn't remember ordering a single thing. I had no idea what it was. I opened the packing slip and the name was the same first name as a woman who lives down the road about a mile. Frustrated, I figured the mail carrier made a mistake. But then I looked at the packing slip again and it said it was to be delivered to me.

Huh? Why would that lady send something to me? I opened the box and there was a small robot and a voodoo type doll. Ok, now I was REALLY confused!

More reading of the packing slip helped me to find a note at the bottom. It said "Doctors being a pain? Stick 'em with a pin! And when you're not feeling well, let your little robot friend give you a hand. From your friends at BBC" (one of the ladies has the same first name as that lady that lives down the road, so that's who sent the box!)

Turns out the robot is a counter top vacuum for crumbs. The doll had funny sayings on it like "feeling stressed?" "Someone giving you a migraine?"

Oh my goodness. I laughed! I laughed until I cried. I have women who have never met me in person, but have taken the time to get to know me, and to think they went out of their way to do this for me is more special to me than they can ever know. I will count these silly items as two of my treasured possessions.

So to Ali, Jane, Susan and the rest of the gang..... I love you ladies!!

1 comment:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Awwww, Dena, how SWEET to send you a voodoo doll! LOL

Good friends are priceless, aren't they? Even ones you can't see. :-)

Hope you feel GREAT today, girl!