Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Say What?

I have no problem with selecting the option of english or spanish when wanting to talk to a company. However, when you select the option of english, it is very helpful to have the person on the other end of the phone able to speak english as well...fluently.

Here is a conversation that I had recently that proves my point. When typing the words below, I typed what I heard. It is not meant to be in any way funny, or derogatory. It just helps to explain how difficult this was, for both of us. Where you see this: ...... that is a spot where I just couldn't understand her:

Operator: hello. How may I hep you?

Me: Hello. I had made a hotel reservation through your service, and I need to cancel that reservation please.

Operator: Ok. Sure. I can hep you with dat. May I have your .......... please?

Me: I'm sorry, my what?

Operator: confimationnumber please.

Me. Oh, my confirmation number. It is xxxxxxxx

Operator: Ok. Who am I speaking to please?

Me: Dena

Operator: Nena?

Me: Dena. with a D as in dog

Operator: Lena?

Me: Dena. D as in Dog. E as in Edward. N as in Nancy & A as in Apple.

Operator: You are Tena?

Me: (sigh) Yes. My name is Tena.

Operator: Ok den Tena. What is your last name?

Me: Heeren. H-E-E-R-E-N

Operator: Arum?

Me. No with an H on the front.

Operator: Oh Harum. Like man with dancers. Do you dance?

Me: No. I'm just trying to cancel my reservation.

Operator: Ok Tena Harum. Can you give me your a mall?

Me: Excuse me? My what?

Operator: Your a mall. A mall. You know, like maybe tena harum @ harum dot com? Yes?

Me: Oh, you mean my email? My email address?

Operator: Yes Tena. Dat is what I say. You not able to hear me so good?

Me: I'm sorry. I can hear you fine. I'm just having a very hard time understanding your deep accent. Could you speak slower please?

Operator: Ok. I speak louder. Dis better?

Me: (banging my head on the counter) Not so much, but go on.

Operator: Ok Tena Harum. I look up your confirmation number but I see it not registered to you. It to a Dena Heeren. She your sister maybe?

Me: (seeing stars) No. Wait. Yes. My sister. Yes. I am Tena Harum and I'm canceling for my sister Dena Heeren.

Operator: Oh dat nice of you to do dat for her. Ok now I have some information for you. Ok?

Me: Yes. Ok.

Operator: Ok Tena. Tell your sister dat
...............................................................................
and then ...................................................................
And............................................................................

Ok? You tell your sister all dat. Ok?

Me: Yes. Ok.

Operator: Ok. Good. Anyting else I can hep you wit?

Me: Do you have any Ibuprofin?

Operator: What you want?

Me: Never mind. Thank you. and have a good day.

4 comments:

sara said...

I know it was not meant to be funny......but it was! mainly because we have all been there. So do you think the reservation actually got canceled?!

Joyce said...

That was hysterical!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

mom and dad said...

what a HOOT!!!! but how true...

Kelly said...

Too funny. But I feel your pain and totally agree.