Friday, April 30, 2010

Latest Medical Update

My doctor sent me to a Rheumatologist who is at a clinic that specializes in Arthritis, Lupus, & Fibromyalgia.

Uh....why was I just sent there NOW, and not informed of this place a year ago?????

Dr. G did all the normal checking of the eyes, ears, etc. and then he proceeded on to the torture test. That's what I call it when they test your tender points.

People who have FMS have certain points on their body that are called the tender point. When a point is pressed on, it's painful. In order to get the diagnosis of FMS, a person has to exhibit 11 of the 18 tender points.

At my original exam where I was diagnosed 6 mo ago, I had 14 of the 18. Today I had all 18, followed by some silent tears when he was done (I wasn't kidding when I said it was painful!).

He said he totally agreed with the FMS diagnosis, however there are a couple of rare diseases that cover some of my symptoms, so he did order some blood work to be done to test for those.

He then talked with us for a while. We learned that 90% of people with FMS are able to work full-time and basically live a relatively normal life. I however fall into the 10% category.

Yeah me. :-/

Is there a chance my symptoms will ever improve? He said it's unlikely. He said it's more about me learning to adapt to my new "disability". I need to re-learn how to do things to make life easier and more comfortable for me.

So my blue rolling stool in the kitchen is probably a permanent fixture. My chair on wheels in the laundry, is also likey to stay.

I feel I am adapting in the home. I am pretty close to having things the way I need them for me to be. It's outside the home where I feel lost. I feel as though I have almost no independence left.

So after we left the clinic we drove to "The Scooter Store". I am now the proud owner of a 2010 candy apple red Revo Scooter.

We'll see what these latest blood tests show, but it's so good to know that we have it confirmed that it's not RA or Lupus.

No comments: