Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Littlest Apple Tree

 This little guy to the left is a 4 yr old dwarf apple tree. Isn't he cute? Still just a baby as far as trees go, and just as confusing as any toddler can be as well.

We were told when we bought this tree that it takes at least 4 yrs for a tree to start producing fruit. He didn't grow at all until this year. Seriously, it was shorter than me until a few months ago. I'm only 5' tall, so you know how short it is.

Well that very next Fall, our little 1 yr old tree, gave us 1 cute little apple that you can see here.

Last year, our little 3 yr old tree (that was still barely 4-5 ft tall) gave us an entire tree full of apples. I seriously don't think another apple would have fit on there. It was amazing! Granted, they were all about the size of golf balls, but hey...we had apples!

Now we are on year 4. This is the year we would really start raking in the apples. I was so proud of my little tree for doing a nice job of growing over the past year. It was now around 6' tall and I couldn't wait to see just how many more apples we'd get this year. I waited and waited all year (apples are my favorite fruit after all). I could barely stand the excitement.

I thought of all the applesauce, apple crisp, and apple pies I could make, as well as fresh apple cider. True, I'd never actually make any of those things, because that requires using an oven, and mine is only there because I've heard kitchens without them look silly.  But...if I did want to, I'd have plenty of apples to do it with.

 Earlier this week I went out to see how the little apples were growing, and to get a guesstimate on how many apples we'd get this year. Look to the left. How many apples do you see? Zero? Me too.

Here I waited anxiously all Summer long, and wouldn't you know it, there is not a single apple to be found anywhere on that silly little tree. Not even one!



I am highly disappointed.

1 comment:

Skoots1moM said...

one of my mom's trees didn't get apples until the 5th year...as one of the gardener's here told me...shake the leaves, get some bees ;)