Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One Is The Lonliest Number

Two years ago for Mothers Day, Jay and the kids took me shopping for new trees for my gift. Nothing says "We love you Mom" like vegetation, right? When we moved to our acreage all the trees were dead (with the exception of 3), so we tore them all out. As time and budgeting allowed we have attempted to plant 2 or 3 trees every few years. And those poor trees never made it. We don't know why. We did everything as we were told to do...to the letter. I had been begging for more trees, so that was my gift, which for Jay was much easier than actually having to take the kids shopping. And it was much better than the normal electric appliance I usually get.

I picked a variety of trees, but my last tree was my favorite. An apple tree. Each year that we have tried to plant trees, we have always tried at least 1 apple tree. My dream was to have fresh apples growing so the kids could pick one for a yummy treat anytime they wanted. Well, that never happened. So, the dream turned to having lots of apples for future grandchildren to enjoy. It appears that dream might actually have a chance to materialize, because amazingly not only have the 5 trees ALL survived and are growing and thriving, but...
Meet my apple tree:

This little guy is only around 4ft tall. And look closely....See it?

Yep, one lonely little apple. I am actually shocked that we even have one. When we purchased our first casualty, er, I mean, apple tree, I asked the greenhouse manager how long before I could start making apple pies (snicker...yea, as if I would actually make a pie). He said it would be probably 4 yrs before we got our first apple.

Well call us "Johnny Appleseed" because we did it in 2 years!

The kids want to pick the apple, but I won't let them. I tell them it looks so cute on the tree. But the truth is that I'm secretly afraid that we won't ever get another apple on there, so I want this one to stay as long as possible. One might be the lonliest number, but at least people know we can make applesauce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This pic CRACKED ME UP!!