Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You're How Old?

I am 2 1/2 yrs older than Jay, and for the 22+ years I have known him, he has taken great delight in reminding me frequently that I am much, much, MUCH older than he is. I never have a come back because not only is he younger, he is taller, and he is skinnier.

Yesterday I got the mail. It had the usual bills and catalogs, but as I went through it, I saw it. The envelope that would make me giddy with my own great delight, as I waited for my husband to come home from work.

I waited by the front door. Anxious for him to pull in the driveway, and finally he pulled in.

I stood dancing in the doorway, grinning like the Cheshire cat.

He got the "uh oh" look on his face and he nervously said "ok, what's up?"

I said. "Finally! Finally! I have proof that no matter what the calendar says, you are older than me! As we all know, our Government and all their offices and/or agencies, in all their wisdom believe themselves to never, ever be wrong. So what they say MUST be considered correct above all else. Right?"

He hesitated and said "Uh, maybe."

I pulled out the following and said "Let me present Exhibit A...or should I say Exhibit AARP bab-ay!!!"



Not only did they contact you, they sent you a membership card. You are now an official member of the AARP....that's for retired persons, in case you didn't know.

Wait....did you hear me ok Grandpa? Should I speak up?

In case you missed it, you are considered old enough to be way beyond retirement age.

Would you like me to lead you to the rocker?

What? Can't find your denture cup?

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed...I have not been sent a membership card. I haven't even been contacted by them. Which means they consider me to be vibrant and Y.O.U.N.G. Which obviously means they believe you to be older than me. Naner. Naner."

I topped it off by dancing around singing "Shake your groove thing. Shake your groove thing. Yea. Yea."

And Jay just stood there shaking his head and chuckling at me. He let me enjoy my 15 min of make-believe that I'm younger than him, and I love him for that.

Oh, and a big shout out to my dad for all those talks about delayed gratification when I was growing up. I get it now Dad....And yea, you're right - it's sooooooo worth the wait!

3 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Too sweet!

Becky said...

You are too funny. Anything to gain the upper hand, how fun.

DEb said...

Wow...that was SO LOW... but I LOVED IT...