Ok, I admit that I don't have a wonderful history to the mug I am entering in Linda's Ugly Mug contest today. As a matter of fact, I don't even have a coffee maker at home. But, I do enjoy a yummy Vanilla Latte when I go out as much as the next lady, so yea, I'm all about entering this contest.
Since we don't have a coffee maker at home, we only have mugs for when the kids (or hubby)make hot chocolate. I looked through our cabinet and didn't see anything I thought would qualify as "ugly". Most are the cute snowman mugs that I bought several years ago. There is one with hubby's name on it that says "Worlds Greatest Golfer", and I have a mug that says it's the "Left-Handers Mug" with all kinds of quotes and info regarding being left-handed.
Then there is the tacky mug, and I'm not sure why we even still have it. It's way in the back of the cabinet and could have a family of spiders living in it for all we know, since it never gets used. Back when we first found out we were expecting multiples, someone gave Jay a mug that says "Ask me about my stud fee". Tacky yes. Ugly, not so much.
BUT I REALLY WANT TO PARTICPATE!
So I did what any reasonable adult would do...I hit up every Goodwill and thrift store I could find. In the 3rd store I went to, I found my mug. I actually laughed out loud when I saw it for the first time. I have to think that whoever created it, was forced into making it, due to a lost bet or something. I can't wrap my mind around the thought that someone made this because they actually thought it was a good idea or something.
Here's some close up shots of my mug:
I'm not sure if this is supposed to represent some sort of Hansel & Gretel fascination or what, with the cherries on top of the trees, as if luring children to the door, but it kind of creeps me out.
Be sure to check out all the chips in the paint. I did not do those. They came free with the mug. I stopped counting them when I got to 25, including the ones along the inner rim. There are 6 just in this shot...can you find them all?
Top 10 reasons why I should win Linda's contest:
10. You gotta admit..it IS ugly. It's colorful...but it's ugly.
9. I didn't have a coupon, so I paid the entire $1.50 out of my own pocket for this mug.
8. I have never won anything, honest. Ask anyone who knows me.
7. It will help my husband realize that I haven't lost my mind, I did buy the mug for a reason.
6. I had strange people looking at me as I stood in line waiting to buy my mug. I'm pretty sure the check-out clerk felt sorry for me, as she tried to make me feel good about buying the mug.
5. Gas prices still aren't cheap, but I was willing to make the sacrifice by driving a half hour to the city, all over the city, and the half hour back home.
4. I have no life. Winning this would be the highlight of the year for me (so what if it's only January).
3. It was 1/2 price day at the Goodwill I bought this at. People were everywhere, and I saw a few that I'm pretty sure where eyeing this mug. I was willing to rumble to get my mug.
2. I already have my acceptance speech written, copied in triplicate, notarized, and memorized.
1. It was below zero degrees outside on the day I went shopping. Now THAT's commitment and dedication!
Head on over to Linda's to vote for me!!!
Oh, and if I win, you're invited to come over and I'll buy you a latte to celebrate with me!
Note Added : Someone asked me what I planned to do with the mug after the contest since I only drink coffee when I'm out. I have the mug on my desk right next to my computer screen. It makes me smile everytime I see it. I think of the fun I had looking for it, I think of the fun I have because of it (by going to Linda's to see all the other ugly mugs) and I think of how it's helped me to not be so serious. In the past I would have never participated in something that seemed "silly and pointless". But, win or lose, I am so glad I did! Seeing the mug reminds me of all that, so the mug will stay right here on my desk and who knows, maybe in 30 years or so, Linda might do another ugly mug contest and I'll enter it again. :)