Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Can't Imagine

Ashley called me this evening and said "Hey mom, make sure you watch the news tonight. My school is gonna be on it because of an attempted abduction."

It wasn't her university she was referring to, but the elementary school she works at every day. She is an after school assistant in the kindergarten/first grade room. When she got to work today she and the other assistants were called into a brief meeting and they were told what happened.

Apparently some guy in his 20's approached an 8 yr old boy and asked if he wanted a ride. When the boy said no, the man asked if he wanted candy. The boy took off running and told his parents when he got home.

How scary for that boy! Don't you just want to give him a big hug?

I just can't imagine living in a city. The other night when Austin had Homecoming, I made him call me after he dropped his date off at her house. That way I knew he was on his way home and was safe. I waited as patiently as I could for him to make the 10-15 min drive home before I could relax.

I just can't imagine having my child walking alone each day. I realize sometimes it's necessary, and I'm not judging anyone....I'm just trying to imagine how hard that would have to be to make that decision.

I also can't imagine having such a sick outlook as to have no value on human life...especially that of a child. To even think of attempting to kidnap a child for whatever reason is just beyond my comprehension.

And of course with my 19 yr old daughter having been mistaken for a junior high age girl several times in recent months, just knowing she has to walk across a parking lot to her car as the days get shorter and shorter makes me pray harder and harder.

No comments: