Tuesday, July 07, 2009

How I Met Mr. Right

Our 22nd anniversary is coming up soon, and I started thinking back on when I first started dating Jay. Let me take you all the way back to New Years Eve 1985 when I had just turned 22 years old.

A group of friends and I went to a nightclub. We reserved a table at the club the New Years Party. I had my big 80's hair going on and I wore a cute knitted dress that of course fell off one shoulder. My hair was up in a bright red banana clip and I had sprayed sparkles in my hair. My red lipstick matched perfectly to my red hoop earrings, bangle bracelets, and my red pumps.

I excused myself to the restroom at one point and I prayed right there in stall #3 "Please God. Please let me meet Mr. Right tonight. Please!!!"

Midnite came. My friends and I exchanged kisses and hugs. We shook the noise makers and blew into the horns. We raised a glass of the cheap nasty tasting champagne the club provided to each table. In my mind I again said my prayer "Please God. Let me meet Mr. Right tonight."

A few minutes later a guy named Mike asked me to dance. We talked while dancing and he seemed nice, but there was just no chemistry. Before he left Mike handed me his business card. He said he love it if I'd call him sometime. I said I'd think about it and he left. He was nice, but not "Mr. Right" I got frustrated and angry that it appeared God had not listened to my prayers at all.

When I got home I took off my coat and pulled my keys out of my pocket. Out came Mike's business card.

Mr. Mike Wright Investments

Mr. Wright

I laughed out loud. I felt that was Gods sense of humor showing me that he HAD heard my prayer, and in a way had answered it. This WAS Mr. Wright, but not my Mr. Right.

The year progressed like previous years. While waiting at the club one night for more friends to show up, a guy asked me to dance. He made me laugh and I had such a good time with him. After the dance was over he went back to his table with his friends. They were loud and obnoxious I felt that if those were his friends, he was probably just like them, so I mentally told myself to forget about him. Over the next few weeks, I kept my distance because of his loud friends, and I declinded his offers to take me out on a date.

The last Saturday night in August he came to the club and I agreed to go on a date with him. I then realized that after all this time I didn't even know his name.

He introduced himself and said: "My name is Jay."

...to be continued

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Love it. My 22nd wedding anniversary is coming up on the 11th of July. I may tell our story too.