Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cavatina

I posted on Facebook last week that I was looking through my cookbooks to find recipes to make for the fair. I wanted things that I can freeze in individual containers so the kids can thaw them out and reheat them in the camper. Tends to help save money by doing that when you are camping at a State Fair for 2 weeks.

My mom mentioned a particular recipe, Cavatina, and I already knew I would be making that one, because when I asked my kids what they'd like, all 3 answered with that recipe. It's been a favorite of mine for many years, and of my kids also.

Chel from Leaving A legacy, and 2 different non-blogger friends asked what it was, so here's the recipe ladies. If anyone decides to make it, be sure to let me know what you (and your families) think!

Cavatina
1/2 box Rotini noodles
1/2 box shell macaroni
1/2 box mostachelli noodles
2lbs ground beef, browned & drained
3 cans pizza sauce with cheese
1 lb mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Boil all the noodles together. Put 1/2 the noodles in the bottom of a large baking dish.

Combine the ground beef and pizza sauce.

Pour 1/2 of the meat mixture over the noodles.

Top with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.

Put remaining noodles, sauce & cheese in the dish in the same order as before.

Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.


Tips: This recipe makes a LARGE amount. When I normally make it, I put it into 2 pans and freeze one. This dish freezes well.

If I am freezing it, I will add in 1 extra can of sauce, so it's not too dry when reheating. I don't think it's too dry, but my family prefers more sauce.

If you don't tell your family, you can substitute ground turkey for half (or all) of the ground beef, and they'll never know the difference (but you didn't hear that from me *wink*).

1 comment:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Okay. Like yum. Thank you, thank you, for remembering to post this. :-)